Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious, healthy snack or Enjoy at Breakfast. Great for traveling. Can be made ahead and frozen.
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Dark Karo syrup or 1⁄4 cup molasses or 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 egg whites (whipped until peaks form)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups Raisin Bran cereal
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pecans
- Sift together dry ingredients except for the cereal.
- Mix applesauce, sugar, & syrup together.
- Add the flour mixture to the syrup mixture.
- Next add cereal.
- Last fold in the egg whites.
- Spoon batter into a lightly greased or sprayed muffin pan (12 count muffin tin).
- Mix together the sugar and the pecans.
- Sprinkle topping on to the batter.
- Bake muffins in a 400° preheated oven for 15- 20 minutes.
- Let cool or serve hot with sweet Honey Butter, or just plain, their great!
These are AWESOME! I made these to serve alongwith our evening tea today. These went really really well in my house. Since I did not have Raisin Bran cereal on hand, I used Kellogg's Fruit n' Fibre cereal as a substitute. Since I did not want to make these more heavy, I omitted the pecans in the topping, but I did use the brown sugar only. These muffins took exactly 20 minutes to bake in my oven at 200C. These are really wonderful to serve for breakfast to children as well as packing them for their tiffin/snackbox for school. Thank you so much for sharing such a nice recipe on Zaar!