Recipe by NormCooks
This is my own recipe from New Years Day 2006. Our guests raved about the flavor. It is simple to fix, unbelievably moist, sweet, and tasty!
Top Review by brenda m.
sweet enough, but had to much liquid, did not stick to ham, I followed recipe, was not sure if I should have drain fruit coctails or not, used only half coke, to watery, did it my way, two cups karo syrup is entire bottle, everyone loved it, to sweet for me, I will not use this recipe again, a lot of trouble for a OK ham.
Directions See How It's Made
- If possible, have your butcher remove the shank from your ham and package the Shank Meat separately. Most will do this at no extra charge. You can use the shank meat as a base for other recipes.
- If you can find the Brown Sugar flavor of Karo Corn Syrup, use it rather than regular corn syrup. Grocers sometimes only carry this flavor during the Holiday Season.
- Make sure your Ham is completely thawed before cooking.
- Remove the wrapper from your ham, and rinse your ham under cold water.
- To make your glaze pour your can of fruit cocktail into your blender. Puree it into liquid, then pour it into a large bowl. Add your brown sugar and Coca Cola. Hand stir gently for a few minutes until the glaze is consistent.
- Protect your baking pan by spraying it with cooking spray then covering the bottom with heavy duty tinfoil.
- Place your rack in the pan, then place your ham on the rack.
- If you have a food injector, load your syringe about 5 times and inject your glaze into the fatty pockets of your ham. This will ensure the inside of your ham is as tasty as the outside.
- Drizzle about half your glaze over your ham, then cover the ham loosely with a tent of aluminum foil.
- Bake your ham for 18 min per pound at 350 degrees. One hour before cooking is done, pour the remainder of your basting mix over your ham, re-cover it with the tent and allow it to finish cooking.
- When your ham is done, remove from the oven, wrap tight in your tinfoil, and let it stand for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Your guests will be amazed at the flavor. Try to be modest when you are complimented about your culinary excellence.