Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
For vegetarian. Taken from my fav cookbook
- 300 g tempeh
- 100 g peanuts
- 5 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 fresh chili peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- oil (for deep frying)
- Cut tempeh into thin strips and deep fry until crisp and golden.
- Then fry peanuts until crisp.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok and fry garlic and shallots for 1 minute and add sliced chilies.
- Fry for another minute, add tomato ketchup, chili sauce, sugar and salt.
- Cook until sauce begin to thicken.
- Add tempeh and peanuts and stir to coat with sauce.
- Serve with warm rice.
- Drizzle lime juice, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
i've made this a couple of times, and tend to use it as more of a guideline. i can't figure out the fried peanuts...they always seem to taste quite burned. when i make the sauce, i just add the ingredients until a get a taste i like. the fried tempeh is delicious.
A bit too sweet for my taste, but otherwise very nice. I will probably use a bit less ketchup next time.