Recipe by Missy Wombat
A Mr Falafel recipe from the alt.food.vegan newsgroup.
Top Review by Eat Your Vegetables!
These get a lot better over time. Initially, I made them right before planning to eat them and they had a really strong seaweed aftertaste. Over the next couple of days they got a little better, but it was after the first week that the flavor was toned down enough that I actually started to enjoy eating them. If you don't want a strong nori flavor, I recommend making these well in advance and letting them mellow in a tightly sealed tupperware container.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together the rice syrup and oil in a small bowl then stir in the cayenne.
- Place the sesame seeds in a small bowl, with water to cover.
- Swish to rinse and pour off any floaters.
- Drain the seeds in a strainer, then transfer to a dry skillet and toast until fragrant.
- Tear each nori sheet into three strips.
- Use a pastry brush to paint each strip with a thick coat of the syrup mixture.
- Sprinkle liberally with toasted sesame seeds and sprinkle liberally with salt.
- Place the nori strips on a parchment covered baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes to allow the coating to set, then turn the strips over and paint the other sides with the syrup mixture.
- Sprinkle as before with sesame seeds and salt.
- Return to the oven for 10 minutes, then set aside for 20 minutes to crisp.
- Break each strip in two pieces.
- Great snack with hot sake or beer.