Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Awesome onion rings from Mr. Food.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups club soda
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 large sweet yellow onions, cut into 3/8 inch slices and separated into rings
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, cayenne and salt; stir to mix.
- Whisk in the club soda.
- In a large saucepan or electric skillet, heat 2 inches of oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Dip each onion ring into the batter; allow excess batter to drip back into the bowl.
- Place battered onion ring into hot oil; fry a few at a time for 5-6 minutes or until golden.
- Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve hot.
I like it with the cayenne pepper it gives it a nice bite to the onions rings, These are awsome and the batter stays on the oinons rings too. I have made these many times, and my kids says there is no comparing to restrantant ones pdgall
Yes, the word is awesome! These rings are so crispy and tasty, just slightly sweet! I was little worried about 1 tbs of cayenne and used chillipowder, instead. Yum, not too hot at all, maybe will be brave enough for cayenne, next time.