Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
These onion rings are sweet and spicy, they are delicious!.... the batter crust really puffs up when frying. If you prefer the rings more spicy, just add in more ground red pepper, warning... that stuff is very hot, so a little goes a long way LOL!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 2 cups club soda
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 large sweet onions, cut into 3/8-inch slices, and separated into rings
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, ground red pepper and salt; whisk in the club soda until combined.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2-inches of oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Dip each onion ring into batter, allowing the excess batter to drip back into the bowl.
- Fry a few rings a a time for 5-6 minutes, or until golden brown (turning the rings to fry on both sides).
- Drain on a paper towel platter before serving.
I have been dieing to make these, I cut the recipe in half and still had enough batter for two onions worth of rings. I may have messed something up but the batter was very thick and wouldnt coat the rings so i added some extra club soda, which i should have measured because i think then it was alittle runny. I borrowed a deep fryer because the rest of my dinner was tasking up all of my burners, they got stuck to the basket but ive never used a fryer before so that may have been user error again lol. They wernt the prettiest rings, but they were still very good, i dont even really care for most onions rings but i gobbeled my share of these right up! thanks for the recipe kitten
Oh God, well what can I say, KITTENCAL has done it one more time! These ARE fantastic! I made these to go with your Pizza Sub sandwiches (#120467) next time I will make a double recipe they sure did not last long, you really have to try these, they are better than anything made in a restaurant, we loved them. thank you!
These are fantastic!!!What a delicious batter. Super easy to make up and fried up perfectly--loved the sweetness of the batter and even using 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne, it wasnt too spicy. This deserves five stars and then some. Will definately make again and maybe use it for other veggies as it was so yummy!Thanks!PeggyLynn