Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have spent two years enjoying Steven Raichlen's BBQ books. The other day I blended two sauce recipes from his BBQ USA and it turned out so well, I made a quadruple batch and jarred it. It is very sweet, so you ncan certainly cut the lemon juice/lime juice down by far. I ran out of lemon juice, hence the lime juice, but think the lime helped adda nice flavor. Enjoy and let me know your thoughts!
- 2 slices bacon, Finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup firmly pakced brown sugar
- 1 -3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 -3 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Heat medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add chopped Bacon and cook until fat begins to render down.
- Add Onions.
- Cook and stir until Bacon and Onions are golden brown.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool while prepping the remaining ingredients.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk until mixed.
- Add remaining ingredients to sauce pan with Bacon and Onion.
- Heat gradually at medium to simmer.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes until thickened.
- (You can strain to remove Bacon and Onion chunks for smoother sauce).
This is a great sauce. You could eat it with a spoon.