Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is different from regular toffees - it's hard with a chocolate flavor. It's really good!
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, cocoa, cream, half-half and 3 T butter in 3 qt heavy saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Continue cooking, stirring no more than necessary to the hard ball stage (250*).
- Watch carefully, for mixture may boil to the top of the pan.
- Remove from heat; stir in remaining 3T butter and vanilla.
- Pour into 9" buttered square pan to cool.
- While still warm, mark in 1" squares; when cool, cut with a sharp knife and wrap individually in waxed paper.
Very good flavor even though it didn't turn out like I anticipated. I cooked it on med. and took over an hour to get to firm ball stage. Since we live at high altitude thought it better not to cook as long. Does take a long time to cool and wrap.