Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Grandma Maxine's recipe from family collection. Note that original recipe calls for 2 cakes of yeast. 1 cake of yeast = 1 package dry yeast OR 2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 cup milk, luke warm
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 compressed yeast cakes
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, softened
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup cherries
- Mix the first three ingredients together.
- Crumble 2 cakes of yeast in the mixture and stir until dissolved. Stir in eggs and shortening. Add flour in slowly, using the amount necessary to make it easy to handle.
- Let the dough raise 1.5 hours. Press out on table in long rectangular shape. Spread 1/2 stick of soft butter on the dough and then sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, pecans and raisins.
- Roll up in long roll. Place sealed edge down in ring on liberally greased pizza pan. Join ends of ring and seal. With scissors, make cuts 2/3 of way through ring at 1 inch intervals. Turn each section on its side. Let rise 1/2 hour.
- Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown.
- While baking, make glaze. by mixing powdered sugar, 2 TBSP warm water, and vanilla. Spread on top of tea ring after removing from oven. Tea ring can be garnished with cherries, if desired.