Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is alot of work but well worth it.
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 1⁄4 cup luke warm milk (scaled, then cooled)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄4-2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in milk, sugar, salt, egg, shortening and 1 ¼ cup flour. Beat till smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in size. Punch down dough. Roll into rectangle, 15x19 inches. Spread with margarine. Mix sugar, cinnamon and raisins; sprinkle over dough. Roll up tightly on long side. Pinch edge of dough into roll to seal. Place roll, seam side down, on lightly greased cookie sheet. Shape into ring, pinch ends together. Make cuts 2/3 of the way through ring at 1 inch intervals. Turn each section onto side. Let rise until double 45 minute
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake until browned approx 25-30 minute Frost with powdered sugar glaze, decorate with candied cherries if desired.