Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
"Fancy" version of my grandma's famous sugar sandwiches. (buttered white bread sprinkled with sugar). Great with coffee. Sugar-spice mix makes enough for 18 toasts. Found this in "Quick Cooking" magazine.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- butter, softened
- white bread, thinly sliced
- To Make Spice Mix (enough for 18 toasts):.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
- To Make Toasts:.
- Spread butter on one side of bread; sprinkle sugar mixture on buttered side.
- Cut in half diagonally.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for abut 10 minutes (watch closely after 5 minutes - I don't bake quite as long out of preference.