1/2 Photos of Swedish Strawberry Mint Soup
3 hrs 25 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
According to Marcus Samuelsson, this is traditionally made in Sweden in June when the wild strawberries (which heretofore I only associated with Ingmar Bergman) are available. But Marcus says it's delicious with cultivated strawberries, or you can substitute other berries or a combination thereof. Cooking time includes three hours of cooling/chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1419.57 ml strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1419.54 ml water
- 236.59 ml orange juice, freshly squeezed (from about 4 oranges)
- 6 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4-5 stalk lemongrass (tough outer leaves removed, tender inner stalks lightly smashed and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds)
- 473.18 ml mint, fresh, coarsely chopped
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 1Set aside 1/2 pint of the strawberries and thinly slice the rest.
- 2Place the sliced strawberries in a large saucepan and add the water, orange juice, ginger, lemongrass, mint and sugar, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- 3Reduce the heat to low and simmer for five minutes.
- 4Remove from heat and set aside to steep for an hour.
- 5After steeping, strain the strawberry mixture through a fine sieve, mashing the strawberries to get the maximum strained liquid.
- 6Discard the solids.
- 7Cover and refrigerate the liquid--your strawberry soup--until well chilled--at least two hours.
- 8Meanwhile, cut the reserved 1/2 pint of strawberries into 1/4" dice, place in a small bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- 9When ready to serve, place a small mound of diced strawberries in the center of each shallow soup plate or bowl, pour the chilled soup around the berries and serve.
- 10Note 1: You can, if you wish, serve this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 11Note 2: You can combine 1/2 cup of the soup with 1/2 cup of champagne for a lovely summer cocktail or with 1/2 cup of sparkling water for a non-alcoholic version.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Strawberry Mint Soup
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.0
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 16.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 45.0 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: