Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a one-dish meat and vegetable casserole that has been handed down from my mom to me, and also from me to my kids. They all love it. It is easy to make, nutritional, and economical also. You have your meat and vegetables all in one dish, so you also have only one "pot" to wash. We like to have it with hot crescent rolls, or biscuits. (or just bread & butter if rolls are not available)
- 2 lbs ground chuck (or beef)
- 6 thinly sliced carrots
- 5 -6 thinly sliced potatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweet peas
- 1 medium diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry dill weed
- 5 -6 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
- Preheat oven to 325 deg.
- Combine ground meat, onions, and 1/2 teaspoons each of the salt & pepper in pot or saute' pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is crumbly and slightly browned.
- Partially drain grease. Pour 1/2 mixture in to a 3 quqrt casserole dish. Spread out 1/2 can of peas, and 1/2 the sliced carrots over meat mixture. Cover with single layer of the sliced potatoes, leaving enough to cover top layer.
- Cover with remaining ground meat mixture, peas, carrots, and finish off with single layer of sliced potatoes. Distribute the 5-6 Tbs. margerine or butter around on top of potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper, and the dry dill weed.
- Cover and bake in 325 deg. oven for 1 hr (or until potatoes are slightly browned and fork tender.
- Makes 6 to 8 DELICIOUS servings!