Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is posted for my sister Jac, she loves cardamom. We were playing around in the kitchen one afternoon and came up with this lovely cake, which has great texture and lots of flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, all purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon cardamom, best if freshly ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, best if freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, best if freshly ground
- 6 tablespoons butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, white
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 lemon, grated zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 9 x 5 loaf pan, with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon into a bowl and set aside until needed.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar using an electric mixer on medium speed until it becomes light and fluffy, (3 - 4 min).
- Lower mixer speed to low and add the eggs one at a time and blend for 1 minute each. Now add the grated zest, lemon juice and buttermilk, mixing well.
- Lastly, you will add the flour mixture and blend until just combined. ( do not overmix).
- Spoon the batter into the pan and smooth out the surface and bake in the center of the oven for 30 - 40 minutes (until a toothpick comes out almost clean, with a few moist crumbs attached).
- Cool the cake in its pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes while you make the glaze.
- For the glaze stir together all the ingredients until well blended. ( Make the glaze to your preference).
- Remove cake from pan and spread the glaze on top and enjoy.
- Make the glaze to your preference, either thick or thin.
This cake is great with the icing or without it. It's so good with the cardamom and lemon taste. In the cake I used 1/2 cup of sugar. I used 1 1/2 tsp cardamom, no nutmeg. Thanks Baby Kato :) Made for the Best of 2011 tag game
Great flavor and texture! Love cardamom and it went well with the lemon. I skipped the glaze and served with a dollop of whipped cream. Thanks for another winner, BK!
I was excited to try this, since the cardamom made is sound so intriguing, and I was not disappointed! The flavor was wonderful and different from any other lemon cake I have had. I made this exactly as posted (but did not use freshly ground spices), adding 1-1/2 t. of cardamom. I baked this in a glass 9x5-inch loaf pan for 50 minutes (maybe it takes longer in glass); however, a tad stuck to the bottom of the pan even though I had sprayed it well with cooking spray. The batter appeared very wet, but the cake came out extremely moist and not too sweet. I made the glaze with the measurements instructed and it produced a thin glaze that added the perfect sweetness (most of it ran off onto the bottom of the plate). I will definitely be making this wonderful cake again. Thanks for sharing. Made for May 2012 Aussie/NZ Swap.