Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
The smell of all the spices brings back childhood memories. In Sweden there are lots of recipes for this cake. I have translated this one from Swedish and then baked it using the English measurements to be sure everything was OK. A piece of this cake with a cup of tea.......heavenly!
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup cranberry jam
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons baking powder or 1 teaspoon baking soda (I use baking powder)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 8x4x3 inch loaf pan or an 8 cup round baking pan.
- Sieve flour with baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and cardamom.
- Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one by one, keep whipping.
- Add buttermilk and jam, mix.
- Add flour mixture and mix gently.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake on lowest rack in the oven for about 50-60 minutes.
- Test with a skewer that the cake is done.
The spices make this cake taste so good! I used an 8" pan and it cooked in 48 minutes in my oven. I frosted it with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting Jackie's Snickerdoodle Cake With Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting by Linda's Busy Kitchen and my DH had two pieces! I stopped at one but I could easily have had another! Delicious.
I just got horse-shaped cake pans from Ikea, so I thought I'd break them in with a Swedish cake recipe. This one was great! It baked up well, though faster than the times listed, and was really delicious. I'm in a wheat-free household, so I used barley flour, a touch of cornstarch and a touch of mochiko instead of wheat flour, and lingonberry jam instead of cranberry because that's "More Swedish." Even with the barley, which notoriously turns my baking dry, it turned out really well.
I loved this cake. I was concerned it would be too sweet, but it was just right. I also expected the cinnamon to be the dominant flavour, but it was perfectly offset by the cardamom. I couldn't find cranberry jam, so used cranberry sauce. I consider it a suitable substitute - sweet with a jam-like texture. The cake was cooked after 45 minutes. I used a 9" (24cm) diameter cake pan, but next time I will choose something smaller, so that the cake has greater depth. Thank you for recommending and posting this cake Chef Dudo.