Recipe by tornadoes three
(Savory Sandwich Torte) I got this from epicurious Gourmet magazine, 1997 A variety of fillings can be used in this savory sandwich torte, often served on special occasions in Sweden
- 8 large hard-boiled eggs, chopped fine
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 scallions, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon drained capers, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- For smoked salmon filling.
- 10 ounces smoked salmon, chopped fine.
- 1 1/2 cups crème fraîche.
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
- For cream cheese filling.
- 3/4 cup whipped cream cheese.
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened.
- 3 tablespoons mixed finely chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, dill, and chives.
- 40 slices very thin firm white sandwich bread (from two 1-pound loaves).
- For herb topping.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh dill sprigs.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- Make fillings:.
- In 3 separate bowls combine all ingredients for each filling, stirring each together until combined well. Season each filling with salt and pepper.
- Stack 4 bread slices together and with a serrated knife trim crusts from bread. Stack and trim remaining 36 bread slices in same manner.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or wax paper arrange 8 bread slices side by side in 2 rows of 4 slices each to form a rectangle. Top rectangle with half of egg salad filling, spreading evenly, and cover with 8 more bread slices in same manner, pressing gently on top and sides to form an even layer.
- Top second layer of bread with half of salmon filling, spreading evenly, and cover with 8 bread slices in same manner to form an even layer.
- Top third layer of bread with all of cream cheese filling, spreading evenly, and cover with 8 bread slices in same manner to form an even layer.
- Make layers with remaining salmon filling, remaining 8 bread slices, and remaining egg salad filling in same manner, ending with egg salad. Chill torte, covered with plastic wrap, at least 12 hours and up to 2 days.
- Make topping:.
- In a bowl stir together herbs until combined well.
- Trim sides of torte and sprinkle topping over egg salad layer.
- Serve torte cut into small pieces.