Recipe by smellyvegetarian
No, this is not a sandwich from the movie of the same title :). This is from _Best Scandinavian Cooking_ by Shirley Sarvis and Barbara Scott O'Neill, and it just sounds too yummy to pass up. I am posting my interpretation of the recipe; ie with the changes I am likely to make to "health" it up a bit.
Top Review by MomLuvs6
My family enjoyed this meal. I did not cook the pickle or tomato with the potatoes, instead I layered it this way, starting with butter toast, lettuce, shredded potatoes, turkey bacon, tomato, fried egg and pickle slice on top. Made for ZWT9 ~ The Apron String Travelers.
- 8 slices turkey bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips (or vegetarian bacon!)
- 2 cups potatoes, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 cup dill pickle, diced
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons Smart Balance butter spread, melted (can be more or less)
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- salad greens
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon until crisp, then place on paper towels.
- Add potatoes to pan (add water or spray pan if not enough fat in pan); saute until golden brown and crisp.
- Add tomatoes, dill pickle, and bacon strips and continue to cook, stirring carefully, just until heated through.
- Meanwhile, toast bread and butter as desired. Place toast slices on 4 plates.
- Top each with 1/4 of the potato mixture and keep warm.
- Fry the eggs in butter or cooking spray and place one egg on top of each sandwich. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish plates with salad greens and serve warm.