Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
No, this is not a sandwich from the movie of the same title :). This is from _Best Scandinavian Cooking_ by Shirley Sarvis and Barbara Scott O'Neill, and it just sounds too yummy to pass up. I am posting my interpretation of the recipe; ie with the changes I am likely to make to "health" it up a bit.
- 8 slices turkey bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips (or vegetarian bacon!)
- 2 cups potatoes, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 cup dill pickle, diced
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons Smart Balance butter spread, melted (can be more or less)
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- salad greens
- Cook bacon until crisp, then place on paper towels.
- Add potatoes to pan (add water or spray pan if not enough fat in pan); saute until golden brown and crisp.
- Add tomatoes, dill pickle, and bacon strips and continue to cook, stirring carefully, just until heated through.
- Meanwhile, toast bread and butter as desired. Place toast slices on 4 plates.
- Top each with 1/4 of the potato mixture and keep warm.
- Fry the eggs in butter or cooking spray and place one egg on top of each sandwich. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish plates with salad greens and serve warm.
My family enjoyed this meal. I did not cook the pickle or tomato with the potatoes, instead I layered it this way, starting with butter toast, lettuce, shredded potatoes, turkey bacon, tomato, fried egg and pickle slice on top. Made for ZWT9 ~ The Apron String Travelers.
All the items in this world that taste crazy good! Never been to Sweden, but if this is what they devour as their meals, I'm IN! Perfection on a plate, changed nothing. Used some wonderful fresh toasted bread, and this made such a beautiful presentation. Made for ZWT 6 Zee Zany Zesty Cookz June 2010
YUMMY! I used real bacon :) What can I say? Bacon - good. Potatoes - good. Tomatoes - good. Dill pickles - good. All together with an egg "hat"... really good! Made for ZWT #6