Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- Grease and flour cookie sheets; set aside.
- Beat butter and 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in 2 egg yolks.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 cups flour; beat at low speed until well blended.
- Stir in additional flour with spoon to form stiff dough.
- Form dough into 2 discs; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Unwrap 1 disc and place on lightly floured surface.
- Roll out dough with lightly floured rolling pin to 3/16-inch thickness.
- Cut dough with floured 2 1/4-inch round cookie cutter.
- Place cutouts 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Gently knead dough trimmings together; reroll and cut out more cookies.
- Unwrap remaining dough disc and place on lightly floured surface.
- Roll out dough with lightly floured rolling pin.
- Cut dough with floured 2 1/4-inch scalloped cookie cutter.
- Cut 1-inch centers out of scalloped cookies.
- Place cutouts 1 1/2 to 2inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Cut equal numbers of round and scalloped cookies.
- Beat egg white in small cup with wire whisk.
- Combine almonds and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in small bowl.
- Brush each scalloped cookie with egg white; sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- Bake all cookies 8 to 10 minutes or until firm and light golden brown.
- Remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely.
- To assemble sandwich cookie, spread about 1/2 teaspoon currant jelly over flat side of each round cookie; top with flat side of scalloped cookie.
- Repeat with remaining cookies and jelly.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature or freeze up to 3 months.