Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a very simple, typical Swedish family stew that delivers a taste that is oh so satisfying. Make it in an enameled cast iron casserole or other oven safe dish because this goes into a very hot oven for quite a while. All the liquid gets absorbed and the casserole becomes good and crusty - but delicious!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck, trimmed of any large pieces of fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions, quartered (about 3)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, cut in 2 inch pieces (or you can just toss in some baby carrots)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boiling potatoes, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cardamom
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cups beer (lager)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- Combine all the ingredients except the beer into a large ovenproof casserole.
- Pour the beer over the stew; cover.
- Bake until the meat is very tender, the potatoes are breaking apart, and the beer is absorbed, about 2 hours.