Prep 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Swedish yummy muffins; with the caraway butter or serve as an appetizer--with a spread of Swedish sweet mustard, a slice of Back Forest Ham and a hardy Farmers cheese slice; wrap in foil and bake about 15-18 minutes to slightly melt cheese.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup warm water (105-115 F)
- 2⁄3 cup rye flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated fresh orange zest
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon anise seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus additional for greasing
- 2 tablespoons molasses (not blackstrap)
- vegetable oil, for greasing
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- 1⁄2 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- Stir together yeast, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup warm water in a large bowl until yeast is dissolved.
- Let stand until foamy, about 15 minutes. (If mixture doesn't foam, discard and start over with new yeast.).
- Whisk together rye flour, 1 cup white flour, zest, salt, anise seeds, cumin, and 1/2 teas. caraway seeds.
- Add flour mixture along with melted butter, molasses, and remaining 3/4 cup warm water to yeast mixture and beat with an electric mixer at medium speed 5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add 1/2 cup white flour, beating until combined.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoons white flour and beat until incorporated. (Dough will be very sticky.)
- Scrape down dough from side of bowl with a rubber spatula and let rise, bowl covered tightly with plastic wrap, in a draft-free place at warm room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter muffin pans.
- Stir down dough (it will be too sticky to punch down).
- Divide dough evenly among 24 muffin cups, about a rounded tablespoon per cup. (Grease tablespoon with oil as necessary to prevent sticking.)
- Let dough rest, uncovered, in a draft-free place at warm room temperature 30 minutes.
- Gently brush tops of muffins with some of egg wash, then sprinkle with sea salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds.
- Bake until muffins are puffed and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Turn out muffins onto a rack and cool to warm or room temperature.
- Serve with Caraway Butter or as suggested in description.