Recipe by Laudee
This is a sweeter version of swedish rye bread. We usually have it at our house with the "swedish egg gravy" recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup water (110-115 degrees)
- 2 packages yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup molasses (we use grandma's brand)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Crisco
- 2 cups medium rye flour
- 5 -6 cups bread flour (or white flour)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water and add 1 tsp sugar set aside.
- In a large bowl comgine remaining water, sugar, molasses, salt, shortening, rye flour& 1 cup white flour, mix well and add yeast mixture.
- Gradually mix, then knead in remaining flour to form soft dough.
- Place in greased bowl and let rise until double.
- Divide into two loaves, put in greased pans and let rise again.
- Bake at 350 40-50 minutes.
- Baste with melted butter when done.