Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from allrecipes.com. It makes a very good sweet rye bread. Prep time does not include rising time.
- 1 ounce compressed yeast cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup molasses (light)
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄3 cup shortening (melted)
- 3 cups rye flour
- 6 cups bread flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Scald milk. Transfer milk to a large bowl, and add salt, molasses, brown sugar, and melted shortening. Cool to lukewarm, and add dissolved yeast.
- Add rye flour, beating with mixer. Gradually beat in bread flour.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise till double in bulk in a warm place (1 to 1 1/2 hrs).
- Punch down the dough and place on lightly floured board. Knead until dough becomes elastic and does not stick to the board.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide into 3 equal portions and shape into loaves. Place in greased 9x5 inch bread pans. Let rise until double in bulk.
- Bake at 375F (190C) for 35-40 minutes.