1/1 Photo of Swedish Roast Chicken With Spiced Apple Rice
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
From Marcus Samuelsson of Aquavit, who says it was what his Swedish Grandmother made on Sunday nights. My change is to add some additional liquid to the pan so that you have enough to make sauce to pour sparingly over the chicken and rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cardamom pods or 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 star anise
- 2 whole cloves or 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 black peppercorns
- 4 white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 chicken, about 3 and 1/2 pounds, preferably free-range
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup long grain white rice, raw
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 1/2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- 2Blanch the sweet potato in boiling water for two minutes, then drain, rinse in cold water and drain again.
- 3In a medium bowl, combine sweet potato, onion, apples, shallots, garlic, thyme and mint.
- 4Combine the 2 tablespoons of water and the olive oil and add to the vegetable mixture, tossing to coat.
- 5With a mortar and pestle (or with the back of a heavy skillet against a cutting board) lightly crush the cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, cloves, black and white peppercorns (you can use all black if that's what you have) with the teaspoon of kosher salt.
- 6Add half the spice mixture to the vegetables and reserve the rest.
- 7Rinse the chicken inside and out and pat dry with paper towels.
- 8Remove all the excess fat.
- 9Lightly stuff the bird's cavity with about half the vegetable mixture and tie the bird's legs together with kitchen string.
- 10Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan and rub it all over with the reserved spice mixture.
- 11Scatter the remaining vegetable mixture around the chicken.
- 12Roast for about one hour.
- 13Remove the vegetables that are loose in the pan and set aside in a bowl.
- 14Continue roasting for another 30 minutes or until your meat thermometer, inserted in the thigh, reaches 160°F.
- 15During this time, if the pan becomes too dry, add water a few tablespoons at a time.
- 16Transfer chicken to a board, remove stuffing and add it to the other vegetables, and cover the chicken loosely with foil.
- 17Keep the vegetables warm.
- 18Place the roasting pan over heat on the stove top and add the water and stock or white wine.
- 19Bring liquid to a boil, stirring and scraping to deglaze the pan.
- 20Pour the liquid into a measuring cup, degreasing as best you can.
- 21Pour about 1/2 of a cup of the liquid into a sauceboat and keep warm.
- 22Add, if necessary, water to the remaining de-glazing liquid so that you have one cup.
- 23Combine the rice, one cup of water, one cup of deglazing liquid and the salt in a medium saucepan.
- 24Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 25As soon as the rice boils, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook the rice till done, about 18 minutes.
- 26Remove from heat and fold rice together with 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of the yogurt and the reserved vegetables.
- 27Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 28Combine the remaining yogurt with the pan juices in the sauce boat.
- 29Carve the chicken and serve with rice, passing the sauceboat for those who need a little extra liquid.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Roast Chicken With Spiced Apple Rice
Serving Size: 1 (487 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 566.4
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 88.6 mg
- Sodium 1031.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: