Recipe by Naturalbohemian
This is a "Land o'Lakes" recipe. It is a very delicious rice pudding, and would be sublime topped with a strawberry, blueberry or rasberry sauce. It is very simple and very homey, quite the comfort food. I am sure the meringue can be left off quite easily if you are not a meringue lover.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, reserve the whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice (I use long grain brown rice)
- 2 reserved egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together 1/2 Cup sugar,cornstarch, salt and nutmeg.
- Using a wire whisk, beat the milk, egg yolks and vanilla into the sugar mixture.
- Stir in the rice.
- Pour into ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Set casserole in 9-inch square baking pan.
- Place in the oven; pour hot water 1- inch deep into 9- inch square baking pan.
- Bake, stirring occasionally, until pudding is creamy and the milk is absorbed (about 1 1/2 hours).
- Remove from the oven.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In small mixing bowl beat egg whites at high speed, scraping bowl often, until soft peaks form (1 to 2 minutes).
- Add the sugar gradually, and continue beating until stiff peaks form (1 to 2 minutes).
- Spread meringue over pudding, sealing around edges.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes more, or until meringue is lightly browned.