Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes courtesy of one the American Girls cookbooks. Specifically it comes from the Kirsten one and so is Swedish themed. Several of these recipes from all of the books are all time favorites of mine so I will post them here. Rice porridge, known as "Skansk grot" in Sweden, made pioneer settlers feel at home in America. This is a wonderful comfort food for a sickie or just for a rainy day.
- Peel and chop apple.
- Rub butter over bottom and sides of a 3 quart saucepan.
- Place rice, water, and cinnamon into the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minute or until water has been absorbed.
- Add milk to saucepan. Heat and stir until simmering but not boiling.
- Add brown sugar, chopped apple, and raisins and stir gently.
- Cover pan and allow porridge to simmer for about 45 minute As it cooks, it will thicken. Stir once or twice while it cooks.
- Turn off heat and remove pan from burner. Remove cinnamon stick and stir in vanilla.
- Serve warm with cream or honey if desired. Also good saved in fridge and warmed up.