Recipe by keen5
I like to serve this with cornish game hens. For a family dinner, add 1 pound cooked and drained pork sausage patties or links.
- 1 medium red cabbage, 2 to 2 1/2 pounds
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons grated apples
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash cabbage in cold water.
- Cut in half, core and slice finely.
- Combine butter, sugar, salt, water and vinegar in a large pot or Dutch oven and bring to a boil.
- Add cabbage and stir to coat.
- Bring to a second boil and then cover tightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours.
- Do not allow it to dry out.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Ten minutes before the cabbage is completely cooked, mix in the jelly and grated apple.