Recipe by Miss Annie
The explosion of flavors in this dish of cabbage are really a nice experience. It has a nice texture and it goes well with pork or beef or chicken.
Top Review by EllenEd
This is a wonderful side dish. I had actually had it several years ago in a restaurant and had experimented trying to make it. I had come close but the current jelly really sets it off. I did cut down a little on the apples. This will become a family staple. Thanks!!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 green apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 lbs red cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons currant jelly
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a heavy large Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add apples and onion and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage and stir frequently for about 8 minutes.
- Stir in sugar, vinegar, salt, cloves, and allspice.
- Cover and cook until cabbage is crisp-tender about 10 minutes.
- Uncover and add red wine and jelly and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.