Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the "Scandinavian and American Recipes" cookbook, which contains recipes submitted by parents and friends of the Svenskarnas Dag Girls Choir. To prepare ahead, peel and slice potatoes, then put in water in the refrigerator.
- 6 medium baking potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 ounces shredded gruyere cheese (3/4 cup)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 ounces shredded gruyere cheese (1/2 cup)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter 2 quart casserole, combine potatoes, salt, pepper, onion, egg and 3 ounces Gruyere cheese.
- Heat milk and cream to boiling in saucepan, combine with potato mixture.
- Place in casserole, sprinkle with remaining cheese and dot with butter.
- Bake 1 hour.
- If top not browned, broil until lightly brown.
Wonderful recipe! I made this for a Swedish Christmas dinner. The gruyere added the perfect bite to the flavor and the potatoes cooked up to the perfect texture, not mushy at all. The guests at our dinner party raved about these potatoes, and they were so easy to make! I will make these again for sure.
Mmm, so good, our family always eats this dish right up! Such a comfort food too! We usually add whatever cheese we have on hand in place of the gruyere. Also we use 1 cup half n half and a cup of chicken broth in place of the liquids. Thanks.
Nice recipe. I omitted the cheese, mixed the egg and milk/cream and poured it over the potatoes, and cooked it for 1.5 hours. Thanks!