Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
It's very much like an Italian pizza, but lighter and more delicate. It's usually made on a puff-pastry dough, though some recipes allow for the use of bread-dough. One warning is that the pizza is very light, specially if you use a puff-pastry dough, this means that you shouldn't count on people getting very filled with it. This recipe is for one pie that will serve four people, but you may want to double it and make two. It's that good. Popular pizza toppings in Sweeden include bananas and curry (or the Tropicana - curry, bananas, ham, and mushrooms), or artichoke hearts and roast beef,fried eggs and prawns. The Venus: Tabasco, ground beef, chili, garlic and onion. Africana: curry, bananas, pineapple. Cozze: Mozzarella, mussels, giant shrimp, garlic and parsley. Viking Pizza: prawns, curry powder, chilli, peanuts, pineapple and bearnaise sauce. Swedish pizzas employ a fascinating range of food combinations and that, usually, these food combinations are surprising delicious. The Fromage Blanc needs to chill for 12 hours.
Top Review by bsebring
This was really good and easy! I made this for book club because we read a book from a Swedish author so I wanted to do something in the theme but the typical Swedish food just didn't sound great. For a little color I used 1/2 red onion and 1/2 yellow onion. If your pastry dough is room temp you only need to bake for 6-8 minutes; it's very quick. Everyone asked for the recipe. If you cut the pastry dough into smaller sizes this would be a great appetizer too. Will make it again and maybe try other ingredients.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 1 small yellow onions or 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 3⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the Fromage Blanc by blending the ricotta cheese, the yogurt and the salt for 30 seconds in a blender. Put into a covered bowl and chill for at least 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Dust a pizza stone or a heavy baking sheet with the cornmeal.
- Whisk together the Fromage Blanc, egg and 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Fry bacon in olive oil until done. Remove bacon from pan, cool a little bit, and break into small pieces. Add onion slices to remaining oil and fry until soft.
- Lay the puff pastry on pizza stone or baking sheet. Spread Fromage Blanc mixture to within a 3/4 inch from the edge. Top with onion slices, bacon pieces and grated cheese. Brush the edge of the dough with water.
- Bake in 425 degree oven until golden brown (15 to 20 minutes). Serve hot.