1/6 Photos of Swedish Pickled Beet and Apple Salad
Chef Kate's Note:
According to Marcus Samuelsson, this is a very traditional Swedish salad and a classic accompaniment to Swedish meatballs. I made it, using his pickled beet recipe (posted here), but you could certainly substitute your own favorite. It's very easy to put together and should be served warm or at room temperature, so if you make it ahead, make sure to let it 'unchill' before serving. I have made it with real mayo and sour cream and with lite mayo and fat-free sour cream--you can hardly tell the difference and the latter saves a lot of fat and calories.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 granny smith apples, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 59.14 ml lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 pickled beets, thinly sliced
- 29.58 ml capers, drained
- 29.58 ml mayonnaise
- 29.58 ml sour cream
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml flat leaf parsley, fresh, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml chives, fresh, finely chopped
- 1Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- 2Add the onion and apples and saute for three to five minutes, until apples have softened.
- 3Transfer to a medium bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice.
- 4Add the beets and capers and toss well.
- 5Mix the mayo and sour cream together, then add to the salad, tossing gently to coat.
- 6Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Transfer to serving bowl or individual plates and garnish with the parsley and chives.
- 8Note: Use a glass or stainless bowl because the beets will stain plastic and some ceramics.
- 9Note 2: You can also do this with baby beets if you're lucky enough to find them at a farmer's market--increase the number of beets relative to their size.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Pickled Beet and Apple Salad
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 165.6
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 187.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: