Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
If chanterelle mushrooms are available in your area, they are excellant in this soup.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups beef or 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- Melt butter in a 3 to 4 quart heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Add mushrooms; saute over low heat until mushroom juices begin to flow.
- Pour mushroom juice into a 2 cup measuring cup; set aside.
- Stir salt, white pepper, and flour into drained mushrooms.
- Add enough broth to mushroom juice to make 2 cups. Stir into mushroom mixture.
- Stir in 6 cups of remaining broth. Over high heat, cook, and stir until soup is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cream and lemon juice. Add salt and white pepper to taste. Stire in sherry.
- Serve hot.
At first I thought this was boring, but then realized I had forgotten the lemon juice. It made a huge difference.It was too thin, though, so I had to thicken it a bit more. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT9