Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Submitted for ZWT '07.
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 egg, cold
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, cold
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 lbs ground beef (combination of any or all) or 3 lbs pork (combination of any or all) or 3 lbs ham (combination of any or all) or 3 lbs veal (combination of any or all)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Grease the bottom of a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2-inch jellyroll pan with butter.
- It is easiest to make this pastry in a food processor. In a small bowl, mix egg and sour cream. In the food processor, pulse the flour and salt until mixed. Add butter; process 15 seconds, until it has the consistency of coarse meal.
- With processor running, add egg mixture; process just until dough comes together. If you don't have a food processor, chill a large bowl, mix the flour and salt in the bowl, then cut in butter with a pastry blender or two forks. Stir in egg mixture just until you can form the dough into a ball. Wrap dough in waxed paper; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 14 x 6-inch rectangle. Place one rectangle in prepared pan; set pan and remaining pastry aside.
- Heat oven to 375°F Melt butter in a large skillet. Add mushrooms; cook over medium heat for 6 minutes or until slightly colored.
- Add ground meat; cook until browned and until liquid in pan cooks away. Place meat mixture in a large bowl. Add onions, parsley, cheese and milk; mix well.
- Gather mixture into a ball; place onto dough rectangle in pan. Using your hands, press meat into a narrow loaf shape. Brush edges of dough with egg-milk mixture. Place the second dough rectangle over the meat. Using a fork, press the dough edges together to seal. Brush top of pastry with egg-milk mixture. Prick top with a fork in several places. Bake 45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve with sour cream on the side.