Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe, in response to a request, is from a 1916 Campbell's Cookbook. It is one of our favorites - I usually double the sour cream and add a can of button mushrooms to the sauce, but i posted the recipe as it is printed in the cookbook. Enjoy!
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt (i omit this)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- in a large bowl, combine and mix thouroughly 1/2 cup of the soup (reserve rest), beef, breadcrumbs, egg, onion, salt and nutmeg.
- shape mixture firmly into an 8x4 inch loaf and place in a shallow baking pan.
- (i use a meatloaf pan) bake at 375 F for 1 hr and 15 min in small saucepan, combine remaining soup and sour cream.
- heat until warmed through.
- serve over meatloaf (as gravy).
This is our family's favorite meatloaf. I always have to make extra sauce because they like it served with mashed potatoes and used the sauce on them as well. My daughter has already claimed the Campbell's cookbook this is in as hers for future reference.