1/1 Photo of Swedish Meatballs With Secret Ingredient
1 hr 30 mins
When I was growing up there was a chain of Swedish Smorgasbord restaurants in the area which I lived. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I met the original owner of that chain at a private party in the last remaining restaurant in the chain. He cooked the foods for this party himself with his son who at that time was the manager of that one remaining establishment. One of the dishes that he served, personally to the 20+ persons invited, was his Swedish Meatballs. They were the absolute best tasting meatballs I ever ate. I took him aside and asked him quietly..."is the wonderful taste in these meatballs the fennel seeds in the sauce?" He smiled and whispered back..."yes that is my secret for making the best Swedish meatballs". I came upon a recipe for Swedish Meatballs at Group Recipes.com that sounded so similar to that recipe so I wanted to post this version for the ZWT #6 2010 Scandinavian Region.
My Private Note
small m ...
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g ground pork
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 1 onion (well minced)
- 3 eggs
- 118.29 ml soft breadcrumbs
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 1.23 ml allspice
- 7.39 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 473.18 ml beef stock
- 4.92 ml fennel seed
- salt & pepper
- 14.79 ml Kitchen Bouquet (optional for color)
- 59.14 ml water
- 29.58 ml flour
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
- 1Put eggs, spices and minced onion in a bowl, mix it all together.
- 2Add meat, mix well so everything is nicely blended.
- 3Shape small meatballs and brown them on all sides.
- 4Cook over medium heat until liquids run clear of blood.
- 5Add the beef stock, kitchen bouquet, salt and pepper, and fennel seeds and simmer on low heat about 20 minutes.
- 6In a small bowl mix the 1/4 cup of water and the flour well for a thickner.
- 7Add the thickner to the meat stirring constantly.
- 8Cook until the the sauce thickens.
- 9Add the cream and just heat until the cream is blended well and hot.
- 10Be careful not to let it boil or it will curdle the cream.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Meatballs With Secret Ingredient
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 707.7
- Calories from Fat 455
- Total Fat 50.6 g
- Saturated Fat 21.8 g
- Cholesterol 335.7 mg
- Sodium 1566.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 49.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: