Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
When I was growing up there was a chain of Swedish Smorgasbord restaurants in the area which I lived. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I met the original owner of that chain at a private party in the last remaining restaurant in the chain. He cooked the foods for this party himself with his son who at that time was the manager of that one remaining establishment. One of the dishes that he served, personally to the 20+ persons invited, was his Swedish Meatballs. They were the absolute best tasting meatballs I ever ate. I took him aside and asked him quietly..."is the wonderful taste in these meatballs the fennel seeds in the sauce?" He smiled and whispered back..."yes that is my secret for making the best Swedish meatballs". I came upon a recipe for Swedish Meatballs at Group Recipes.com that sounded so similar to that recipe so I wanted to post this version for the ZWT #6 2010 Scandinavian Region.
- 453.59 g ground pork
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 1 onion (well minced)
- 3 eggs
- 118.29 ml soft breadcrumbs
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 1.23 ml allspice
- 7.39 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 473.18 ml beef stock
- 4.92 ml fennel seed
- salt & pepper
- 14.79 ml Kitchen Bouquet (optional for color)
- 59.14 ml water
- 29.58 ml flour
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
- Put eggs, spices and minced onion in a bowl, mix it all together.
- Add meat, mix well so everything is nicely blended.
- Shape small meatballs and brown them on all sides.
- Cook over medium heat until liquids run clear of blood.
- Add the beef stock, kitchen bouquet, salt and pepper, and fennel seeds and simmer on low heat about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the 1/4 cup of water and the flour well for a thickner.
- Add the thickner to the meat stirring constantly.
- Cook until the the sauce thickens.
- Add the cream and just heat until the cream is blended well and hot.
- Be careful not to let it boil or it will curdle the cream.
ABSOLUTELY a STUNNING recipe!
This gets the WOW factor from me!
With this recipe, I got 64 balls, TRUE!
Less than 10 were left and only 7 people too!
OUTSTANDING and thanks for posting the recipe!
MADE the night AND night for ME!
I did not like the ground pork in meatballs! Made a few changes, I like, to see what others have did to any improvements and/or variations you make to this simple recipe work!
Love these meatballs! Made a few changes, but turned out wonderful!