1 hr 15 mins
HEP MEP's Note:
My husband is of Norse heritage - a Danish father, and Swedish mother. When they were still among us, his mom would make a buffet of all the classic stuff-Swedish Meatballs,Swedish Potato Sausage, "Brunabuner"(baked beans with cinnamon)rice pudding with lingenberries,limpa bread caraway cheese...on and on,for Christmas Eve dinner. I have a few of her recipes, but her Swedish Meatball recipe was not real specific.I found this recipe in a cookbook,"365 Ways to Cook Hamburger and Other Ground Meats" and they are truly good. The husbamd likes them even better than Mom's!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/3 cup crushed crisp rye crackers or 1/3 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 lb ground round (85% lean)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- extra wide egg noodles or egg, dumpling noodle cooked and drained
- 1In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- 2Add mushrooms and 1/4 tsp.
- 4Cook, stirring often,until mushrooms have given off their liquid,and are slightly browned,about 6 minutes.
- 5Transfer mushrooms to a plate and set aside In a medium bowl,combine rye cracker crumbs or bread crumbs,1/4 cup cream.
- 6egg,onion,parsley,remining 1/2 tsp.
- 7salt,allspice,nutmeg,and 1/8 tsp.
- 8pepper; stir with a fork until mixed.
- 9Add ground round and mix until well blended.
- 10Using about a tablespoon of mixture for each,form into meatballs.
- 11In a large skillet,heat oil over medium-high heat.
- 12Add meatballs and cook, turnng occasionally,until browned all over,about 10 minutes a batch.
- 13Sprinkle flour over meatballs and gently turn them until the coated flour is absorbed.
- 14Add broth and 3/4 cup of water.
- 15Bring to a simmer,scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- 16Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- 17Gently stir in cooked mushrooms,remaining 1/4 cup of heavy cream,and 1/8 tsp.
- 18of pepper Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- 19Serve on cooked egg noodles.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Meatballs..... Once Again...With Mushroom Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 514.9
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 181.9 mg
- Sodium 713.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 24.8 g