Recipe by MsKittyKat
My Aunt would make these for Christmas Eve dinner every year. She'd serve these along with Potato Sausage, Lingonberries, Limpa Bread and mashed potatoes.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 slices day-old rye bread, crusts trimmed,torn into pieces
- 2⁄3 cup beef stock or 2⁄3 cup canned beef broth
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups beef stock or 1 1⁄3 cups canned beef broth
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- ground allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- For meatballs:.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Combine bread and stock in large bowl.
- Mix in onion mixture, egg, allspice and pepper.
- Add ground beef and veal and blend well.
- Can be prepared 3 hours ahead.
- Cover and chill.
- Shape meat into 1 1/4-inch balls.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add meatballs and sauté until cooked through and brown, turning occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer meatballs to platter and keep warm.
- Reserve drippings in skillet.
- For sauce:.
- Add flour to drippings in skillet and stir over medium heat until brown, about 4 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in stock and cream.
- Simmer until sauce is thick and smooth, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with allspice, salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over meatballs and serve.