Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 hrs
In ‘ Slow Cooker Revolution’ by ATK
- 4 slices seedless rye bread, torn into quarters
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (85%)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 onions, minced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Place wire rack in foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Mash bread, ½ cup broth, and ½ cup sour cream into paste in large bowl using fork.
- Mix in ground beef, egg yolks, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, allspice, nutmeg using hands.
- Pinch off and roll mixture into tablespoon-size meatballs (about 60 meatballs total) and arrange on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer meatballs to slow cooker, discarding rendered fat.
- Melt butter in a 12-inch skillet over med-high heat.
- Add onions and cook until softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in remaining 2 ½ cups broth and soy sauce, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps.
- Pour mixture over meatballs, cover, and cook until meatballs are tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- Let meatballs and sauce settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- In bowl, combine 1 cup hot cooking liquid with remaining ½ cup sour cream (to temper), then gently stir mixture into meatballs.
- Gently stir in dill, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.