This one came from Lithuania. It has a nice tangy flavor, great with rice or buttered egg noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Meatballs: Soak the dried French bread in water until soft.
- 2Squeeze the liquid from the bread and discard the liquid.
- 3Mix the meats, bread, egg white, finely chopped onion, finely chopped salt herring, salt, and pepper into smooth dough.
- 4Shape into small balls.
- 5Sauce: Over medium heat melt the butter, stir in flour and cook until flour is lightly yellow.
- 6Slowly add the stock or water stirring constantly.
- 7Bring to a boil.
- 8Reduce heat and add the meatballs.
- 9Cook about 5 minutes on medium low heat.
- 10Let simmer 10 more minutes.
- 11Add capers, lemon juice and salt to taste.
- 12Mix egg yolk with water and stir into sauce.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 472.2
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 154.3 mg
- Sodium 394.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 30.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: