Recipe by Tisme
Found on a favourite programme of mine "Food Safari" Posting for ZWT9. Prep time includes making the meatballs.
Top Review by I'mPat
We absolutely loved the meatballs, I browned them in the frypan and then finished cooking them in the oven. I had scaled the recipe back for 20 meatballs and got 23 and I tripled the sauce though only used half an onion as I was serving the over pasta but the sauce for me was a little disappointing as it was so thin but the DS and DM thought it was great and went back for seconds. Thank you Tisme, made for Aussie/Kiwi tag game Make My Recipes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, chopped
- 350 g ground pork
- 350 g minced beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- chopped dill, to serve
Sour cream sauce ingredients
- 100 g sour cream
- 1 small onion, halved
- 4 black peppercorns
- 60 ml beef stock
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the sauce: Heat the sour cream, onion and peppercorns in a pan over medium heat for 4 minutes or until simmering. Add stock, return to a simmer and cook for a further 4 minutes or until slightly reduced. Strain through a fine sieve, discarding solids. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
- For the meatballs:.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and thyme, and cook for 4 minutes or until light golden. Allow to cool, then combine with minced meat, egg and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Season. Using damp hands, roll 3 teaspoons of mixture into balls. Place balls on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook meatballs, in 4 batches, shaking pan to evenly brown meatballs, for 6 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Scatter with dill and serve with the warm sour cream sauce.