1/2 Photos of Swedish Meatballs
These are tasty meatballs that can be served as an appetizer or as a meal over rice or noodles. Cut recipe out of the Milwaukee Journal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 Tbs butter.
- 2Add onions and saute, stirring often until soft, about 1-2 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat and set aside.
- 4In bowl of electric mixer combine bread crumbs and water; let stand until soft; about 1-2 minutes.
- 5Add reserved onions along with beef, pork, egg yolks, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and allspice.
- 6Beat on low speed until smooth.
- 7Turn mixer to high and beat until mixture is light in color and fluffy; about 10 minutes.
- 8Shape into 1-inch balls.
- 9In large skillet over medium heat, melt remaining 4 Tbs butter.
- 10Cook meatballs in batches of about 15 at a time until brown on all sides.
- 11Remove with slotted spoon and drain briefly on paper towel before removing to a warmed serving platter
- 12Cover to keep warm.
- 13When all meatballs are cooked, reduced heat to low and add flour to skillet.
- 14Cook, stirring until lightly browned.
- 15Slowly add beef stock
- 16Cook, whisking until gravy is thick and smooth.
- 17Strain if desired.
- 18Pour gravy over meatballs and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.1
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 129.7 mg
- Sodium 657.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 18.5 g