Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Goes great over cooked noodles although you could easily serve these alone as an appetizer. Enjoy!
Make and share this Swedish Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled, cooked, and mashed
- 1 small grated onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped peeled cooked beets
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill pickles
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- hot cooked noodles
- Mix ground beef lightly with mashed potatoes, onion, beets, dill pickles, eggs, 1 tsp salt, and pepper until well blended.
- Shape into 36 meatballs, then flatten each slightly.
- Brown, a few at a time, in butter or margarine, in a large frying pan, adding butter or margarine as needed.
- When cooked through, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Blend flour and remaining tsp of salt into dripping in pan (add more black pepper if you like); stir in the beef broth, milk, nutmeg, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the gravy thickens.
- Place the meatballs in the gravy and simmer 10-15 minutes on low.
- Serve over hot cooked noodles.
Not sure how to rate this but wanted to share that my meatballs also fell apart in the 1st frying batch so I added bread crumbs to the rest of the meat in hopes of salvaging the meal. They were tasty but I'm not sure I'll chance making these again. If I do I will try with less potatoes.
Perhaps I just missed something but this recipe did not work for me at all. I did let the potatoes sit in water before they were mashed, so maybe that was the problem but these meatballs didn't hold together for me at all and when I put them in sauce, they totally fell apart and it looked like mush. I fixed it all up though into a casserole with noodles and cheese and it was ok. The flavor of the meat"crumbles" was great, they just wouldn't hold together.
This was a great recipe. My kids loved it! It was easy to make and quick.