Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Goes great over cooked noodles although you could easily serve these alone as an appetizer. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled, cooked, and mashed
- 1 small grated onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped peeled cooked beets
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill pickles
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- hot cooked noodles
- Mix ground beef lightly with mashed potatoes, onion, beets, dill pickles, eggs, 1 tsp salt, and pepper until well blended.
- Shape into 36 meatballs, then flatten each slightly.
- Brown, a few at a time, in butter or margarine, in a large frying pan, adding butter or margarine as needed.
- When cooked through, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Blend flour and remaining tsp of salt into dripping in pan (add more black pepper if you like); stir in the beef broth, milk, nutmeg, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the gravy thickens.
- Place the meatballs in the gravy and simmer 10-15 minutes on low.
- Serve over hot cooked noodles.
Not sure how to rate this but wanted to share that my meatballs also fell apart in the 1st frying batch so I added bread crumbs to the rest of the meat in hopes of salvaging the meal. They were tasty but I'm not sure I'll chance making these again. If I do I will try with less potatoes.
Perhaps I just missed something but this recipe did not work for me at all. I did let the potatoes sit in water before they were mashed, so maybe that was the problem but these meatballs didn't hold together for me at all and when I put them in sauce, they totally fell apart and it looked like mush. I fixed it all up though into a casserole with noodles and cheese and it was ok. The flavor of the meat"crumbles" was great, they just wouldn't hold together.
This was a great recipe. My kids loved it! It was easy to make and quick.