Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Sweet and delicious! This recipe came from a good family friend. We have made these many times over the years. These are often requested for me to make. I have taken these to many potlucks by placing them in the crock pot once they are done to keep warm.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 24 saltine crackers, -crushed (individual crackers, not the 4 square)
- 3 eggs, -slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- Mix ground chuck, crackers, eggs, and onion. Make into meatballs.
- Place in pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking during this 30 minutes is a good time to mix up your sauce by mixing the ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar.
- Remove from oven and drain excess grease.
- Return to pan.
- Pour sauce over meatballs, and stir to coat all the meatballs.
- Bake another 30 minutes at 350°F until meatballs are cooked through.
Knew we were going to enjoy these meatballs - love those old recipes that have ketchup and Worcestershire in the sauce ... the basis for a good many of our prairie comfort foods. Made as posted and wouldn't change a thing. Have added this to my recipe file. Thank you and thank your family friend - happy you shared!
My family loved these meatballs even if I did scorch the sauce. My oven is hot and I should have adjusted for that. I didn't have any Worcestershire Sauce in my pantry (yikes) so used some HP sauce instead. It still tasted great. It is quite sweet but we are a sweet loving family. If you don't like sweet you may want to reduce the sugar a bit. I loved cooking the meatballs in the oven. I used lean ground beef and there was no grease to drain. Thanks for a very good recipe. This was reviewed for 2007 Fall PAC.