Recipe by English_Rose
For a simple tasty meal try this recipe for Swedish meatballs, served with a green salad.
Top Review by Cynna
I made these and served them with a mushroom sauce over spinach and chive linguini. They were tender and delicious with a delicate flavor. They make good sandwiches the second day, as well! Thanks for sharing this great recipe!
- 2 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup single cream
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- green salad, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Set the breadcrumbs to soak in the cream in a bowl.
- Heat 1/2oz of butter in a frying pan, add in the onion and fry it, stirring now and then, until golden.
- Place the minced beef, pork and veal in a mixing bowl. Break in the egg and add the salt, pepper and freshly ground nutmeg followed by the soaked breadcrumbs.
- Mix together, first with a spoon and then with your hands.
- Add in the fried onion, mixing thoroughly.
- Shape the mince mixture into ping-pong sized meatballs.
- Heat the remaining butter in a large, heavy-based frying pan and fry the meatballs, turning now and then, until browned all over, around 15 minutes. They are ready when they're cooked through but still juicy.
- Serve at once with a green salad.