Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
swedish meatballs are a bit smaller and smoother..the mashed potatoes are responsible for this...this is a hearty main dish I ofen serve it with buttered noodles..this can be made in advance and frozen
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 cups fine dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 lb ground round
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 dash hot red pepper sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup half-and-half
- beat one of the eggs in a large bowl -- add the mashed potatoes.1/2 cup of the bread crumbs, the onion and all the seasonings; combine well.
- place the meats in a food processor bowl and pulse a few times or until the meat looks smooth --
- transfer to the mixing bowl with the potatoes and seasonings and combine lightly with your hands.
- shape the balls into about 1" diameter --
- in a small bowl, beat the remaining egg and pour into a pie pan.
- pour the remaining bread crumbs into another pie pan.
- roll the balls first in the egg then lightly in the crumbs.
- in a 10" skillet, melt the butter over medium heat; add the meat balls and brown on all sides, about 8-10 minutes, turning them with tongs.
- drain on paper towels while preparing the sauce.
- to the drippings in the skillet, add the flour and seasonings.
- heat and stir until the mixture bubbles, then add the stock and half and half.
- whisk, until smooth.
- the sauce will be a bit thin, return the meat balls to the skillet and simmer for 10 minutes; the gravy will thicken as they cook -- .