Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I've been looking for a Swedish Meatball recipe that doesn't contain mushrooms (I dislike them)... and since most of them do, I wasn't having much luck! My mother was flipping through a Good Housekeeping magazine and came across one without the mushrooms, finally! We made it this evening and it was delicious! I hope you enjoy it, too!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix ground beef, stuffing mix (dry mix, do NOT prepare according to box), eggs, onion and water.
- Shape into 32 meatballs (more or less, depending on how big or small you want them).
- Place meatballs in 13x9" baking dish (use 2 dishes if the meatballs are too crowded).
- Bake 25 minutes or until done.
- Mix gravy and sour cream in large saucepan.
- Add meatballs to sauce mixture, stir lightly.
- Cook on low for 5 minutes.
- Serve over egg noodles.
This was good. i liked the addition of the stuffing. it made good use of a box of stuffing in my cupboard and seemed to keep the meatballs moist. i used ground turkey, two cans of beef gravy, and a package of fat free cream cheese in lieu of the sour cream as i am allergic. i also added a tablespoon of worschestire sauce. my only complaint is it doesn't make enough sauce for the amount of meatballs. overall tasty, easy, and economical! the true test will be when my husband gets home and tries it!
I made this recipe on 11/13/11 for the Child's Play/ Universal Dishes Event in Food Photo Forum. Due to what was on hand a few changes were made to the recipe, I used an herb seasoned stuffing and instant onions. After combining all the meatball ingredients, I was able to get 48 meatballs ( YES, I said 48 :) ) . For my oven, the baking time and temp. was perfect. For the gravy I used 1 14 1/2 ounce can of beef gravy, 1 pkg. brown gravy mixed with one cup of water.Also, I added just 1/4 cup sour cream and 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce then mixed well and added half the meatballs ( froze the other half for future use ). Heated through and served over egg noodles with broccoli as a side. I will make this again. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling : ) "
This was a simple recipe that my whole family enjoyed. Thanks for sharing!