Donna Matthews's Note:
Nutmeg and allspice give these meatballs a lovely flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1/4 lb ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped and sauteéd
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1Sauteé chopped onions in 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy skillet until preferred softness is reached.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk egg.
- 3Add bread crumbs and milk.
- 4Whisk together and let stand for 10 minutes.
- 5Add remaining meatball ingredients and mix well.
- 6Form into balls about 3/4 inch in diameter.
- 7In same skillet, melt an additional 2 tablespoons butter.
- 8Brown meatballs on all sides.
- 9Remove meatballs from skillet and place in a casserole dish.
- 10Over medium heat, add the rest of the dry ingredients to the butter and drippings in the skillet, stirring well.
- 11Slowly add the water and cream, stirring constantly.
- 12Cook until thickened.
- 13Pour gravy over meatballs in casserole.
- 14Keep warm in a slow oven until ready to serve.
- 15My family likes these served with hot buttered noodles, but they would go well with mashed potatoes, too.
- 16Serve with a fresh green salad and/ or cooked broccoli for a lovely meal.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swedish Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.9
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 139.7 mg
- Sodium 1131.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 24.6 g