Recipe by CHEF GRPA
This quick and easy savory sauce turns heat-and-eat meatballs into tonight's main attraction. Serve on a bed of pasta or rice and a side salad, and dinner is ready in no time.
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup freshly grated romano cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups stale Italian bread, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 cup olive oil
- 0.5 (20 ounce) packagefrozen cooked meatballs, thawed (to save some time)
- 1 (16 ounce) package egg noodles
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Whisk together the beef stock, heavy cream, flour, soy sauce, black pepper, and rosemary in a large saucepan until smooth. Cook and stir over low heat until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the meatballs, and continue cooking until meatballs are heated through, about 5 more minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions. Drain; toss with butter. Serve with meatball mixture; sprinkle with parsley.
- *My Meatballs: 1. Combine beef, veal, and pork in a large bowl. Add garlic, eggs, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.
- 2. Blend bread crumbs into meat mixture. Slowly add the water 1/2 cup at a time. The mixture should be very moist but still hold its shape if rolled into meatballs. (I usually use about 1 1/4 cups of water). Shape into meatballs.
- 3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Fry meatballs in batches. When the meatball is very brown and slightly crisp remove from the heat and drain on a paper towel. (If your mixture is too wet, cover the meatballs while they are cooking so that they hold their shape better.).
- My Note: I used 1/2 skim milk and 1/2 cream so it wasn't so heavy and it turned out great! BUT IF LIKE TO HAVE A GRAVY: see be low.
- For a Gravy Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter.
- 4 tablespoons flour.
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth.
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire.
- 1/2 cup sour cream.
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice.
- salt/cracked black pepper, to taste.
- Gravy Directions:.
- 1). In a large skillet, melt butter on medium heat.
- 2). Whisk in the flour slowly and cook until smooth and slightly darkened.
- 3). Add the beef broth, allspice, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer.
- 4). Reduce the heat to medium low and stir until gravy thickens.
- 5). Stir in sour cream, mix well, and serve warm on top of meatballs.
- UPDATE: I used lean beef so had to melt butter in the pan to make the gravy. The flavor was wonderful. I skipped the noodles and used them as a hors d'oeuvre. I made the meatballs ahead of time and froze them so I had them ready to go when I made the recipe the following week. Used ground sirloin to cut down on fat. Next time I will need to add melted butter with flour to make the roux because it lumped up and I had to use my emulsifier to get the lumps out. Didn't have fat from the meat (can't add cold liquid to flour).
- Sometime I used at meatloaf mix (beef/pork/veal), and added 2 TBSP of parmesan cheese and 2 tsp crushed garlic for extra flavor. Baked them according to the recipe then put them in a pot of sauce to simmer for a couple hours. That me!