Recipe by magpie diner
Adapted from a recipe found at http://www.grouprecipes.com/103768/vegan-swedish-meatballs.html. That one uses a whole 2 cups worth of soy creamer...granted, that would make it deliciously creamy, I tried to lighten that up a bit (you could adjust the broth-creamer ratio as you wish). I also changed the meatballs up by using TVP instead of a packaged sausage product which we just can't find where I live.
Top Review by breezermom
I guess if I was a vegan, I might rate this a 5.....but I am definitely a carnivore, so I missed the texture and taste of meat! That being said, they have a very nice taste. I had some whole nutmeg that I ground up, and used fresh parsley. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for ZWT6 Zingo by and Unruly Under the Influence.
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup plain soymilk (or rice milk)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1⁄2 onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- black pepper
- extra vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 button mushrooms, halved and then sliced
- 1⁄3 cup soy coffee creamer
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 dash Braggs liquid aminos
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl combine the breadcrumbs with the soy or rice milk. Set aside. Heat up the vegetable broth in a pyrex measuring cup and then add in the dry TVP. Mix together well and let the TVP absorb for a few minutes. While that sits, dice up your onion.
- Mix together the breadcrumb mixture with the TVP, about 2 tbsp of the onion. the parlsey flakes, garlic powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Adjust the salt to taste as it will really depend on how seasoned your veggie broth is. You want the mixture to hold together when formed into a ball in your hand - you may need to add a little extra broth, maybe a few tablespoons. I find pushing down with the spoon as you mix helps to combine everything. Form into balls, 1 1/2 inches in diameter (should yield 12).
- Heat up the oil in a saute pan, add in the "meat" balls and brown on all sides as best you can. When complete, place them into a casserole dish and set aside.
- Put your oven on to 350 degrees.
- Clean out your saute pan of any bits and then return to medium heat. Saute the rest of the onion and the mushrooms for about 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- In a bowl whisk together 1/3 cup soy creamer (or more if you choose) with the corn starch. Mix in 1 1/2 cups veggie broth, or less if you're using more creamer, along with the nutritional yeast and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Pour the broth mixture into the pan with mushrooms & onions, bring up to a gentle boil, stirring well to get a smooth sauce. Turn heat down and let it simmer for just a few minutes. Add in some braggs for flavour or colour if you choose.
- Pour the gravy over the meatballs and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until bubbly. Serve over noodles or mashed potatoes.