Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a traditional Swedish dessert called Mazarintarta. It calls for green food coloring in the filling, but I think I'd leave that out (too many chemicals for me!). From cookbook "Favorite Swedish Recipes". PREP TIME DOESN'T INCLUDE 1 HOUR REFRIGERATION TIME. The recipe didn't indicate what size pie tin to use, but based on the amount of ingredients, I'm guessing a rather small one.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup blanched almond, ground
- 2 eggs
- green food coloring
- Combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk and flour and stir until smooth.
- Place dough in refrigerator for one hour.
- To make filling, combine butter and sugar until smooth. Add almonds, eggs and food coloring and mix until well blended.
- Butter an 8 inch pie tin.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll out to fit the pie tin and then spread the filling evenly over the crust.
- Bake in a slow oven - 250F - for 30 minutes. Cool in the tin.
- When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar or spread with a simple icing (1/2 c powdered sugar and 1 tablespoons water).
- OPTIONAL: you can make these into small tarts instead. Follow same steps but bake in 375F oven for 20 minutes. These are called Mazarins.